Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thumbs up for therapy and medication!

22. I am grateful that we qualify for food stamps.  When the student loan money runs out, all I have is the food stamp card.  It is so nice to know that we can eat well even when we can't pay our utilities on time.

23. I am grateful for date night.  Last night was steaks and movies Scott borrowed from the library.  Again, thanks to the food stamp card we can enjoy yummy food without spending money.  Scott also surprised me with Hagen Daas ice cream bars which are, I think, just as lovely as flowers!

24. I am grateful for therapy and medication.



I love this boy.




His life started out so rough.  Even if we don't have clear memories, our minds remember feelings.  Eomer spent the first few years of his life afraid.  Before he came to live with us he was diagnosed as having Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) which happens when kids don't have a primary person they connect with.  Eomer was neglected so much that he felt he could trust no one.  Even though he knows he is now safe, this fear has left an impact on him that he has really been struggling with.

About a year ago Eomer was having a really hard time at school.  His teacher told me sometimes he would just stand up at his desk and refuse to do anything.  Other times he would hide under desks.  Rarely could she get him to complete any assignments.  We started meeting with a therapist regularly, knowing that Eomer was probably struggling with issues from his early childhood.  He made a lot of progress over the spring and summer but when school started up again, Eomer went back to hiding and refusing to work.  He also added punching kids which got him suspended several times.

Eomer's therapist suggested that we add medication and had us meet with a psychiatrist as well as meeting with her.  The psychiatrist thought Eomer may be in the Autism spectrum because of some of his symptoms.  The symptoms of mild Autism can be similar to those of RAD and also Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  I think this may contribute to Autism being overdiagnosed.  Unlike Autism, RAD and PTSD can be overcome.  When people say their Autistic children have been cured, I have a really hard time believing the children were actually in the Autism spectrum.

Anyway, we started Eomer on some medication which has helped him control most of the negative behaviors he was struggling with.  I am so grateful that we live in a time when we can get the help we need both by meeting with a therapist and medication when necessary.  Every member of our family has seen a therapist at one time or another.  I love therapy and I highly recommend it!  It is so helpful to talk with someone who can help you sort through what is bothering you.  We don't have to suffer alone!

5 comments:

regina said...

LOVE this!!!! i completely agree with the autism statement, it is over diagnosed and not curable. you child cannot be cured. i am so happy that eomer is doing better, it gives me so much hope for bear once we get everything on the levels it should be. we think he has so much potential if we can his anxiety and fear under control. i love you guys.

Rebecca said...

Thank you Alta. I have had a really difficult week, and I needed to read this today.
I am so grateful for the internet, sometimes I feel so isolated out here with out friends or family close by. It is so nice to connect with you, even if it is via the computer.

LeMira said...

He really is a great kid! It's wonderful that he can get the support he needs.

Janice said...

We are lucky to live in a time when we can get help for ourselves and our children AND in a time when mental health issues are not taboo to talk about. I'm glad Eomer is doing better.

a little music said...

Early childhood trauma is so devastating. When I finally revealed my own childhood trauma, the response from my own parents was "Well, why bring this all up now?" It makes me so happy to know that you are so supportive and willing to work with Eomer, and give him the love he needs to work through his RAD and PTSD. God bless the boy, and God bless you.