Saturday, January 8, 2011

Your obsession with your weight is making you boring...


"It's really dangerous to think that what you look like is who you are." 
-Portia DeRossi

It's a new year so lots of people are making resolutions.  It's often a good thing.  You know, a chance to re-evaluate where you are and where you want to be.

I am all for having people set goals and share them with their friends.  It's a good way to have accountability.  And I am all for weight loss and getting in shape.  I'm trying to be better too!

However...

When every Facebook status involves what was eaten and how much working out will have to be done because of all the fat/calories and how size ___ will never be reached, I'm telling you right now, it makes me not want to be your Facebook friend.  It's not that I don't want to be friends, it's just that it makes me feel like that's all there is to being friends and friendship is so much more than being someone's food police.

Be like the Dove commercials and "Love the skin you're in."  If there is a need to fill the skin a little less than it is right now and you want your Facebook friends to cheer you on, by all means, share your goals!  Just please, break it up a little with other things to say.  I promise, you are more than what you look like!

Now, as for my resolution, it's the same one I have made for the last several years.  Be nicer to myself and others.  Obviously I'm not perfect at it...

Here's what I am perfect at:


Mmmmmmmm.  Eating Magleby's chocolate cake.  By myself.

STOP LOOKING AT MY CAKE AND GO GET YOUR OWN!

8 comments:

Jan said...

Seriously it looks so good!! I see the billboard on the way home from work sometimes and think I would really like a piece of that. I just have never been to Magleby's. I think I really need to go. But until then I really will just stare at your cake because it looks super good!!

Heather M said...

Your posts always make my day! Not a chocolate cake fan, but give me some good creme brulee and I'll be in heaven! :)

La La Land said...

Magelby's = Best. Chocolate. Cake. Ever.

I like your resolution, and think we all would be happier if we made it our resolution, too.

Leah said...

oh my chocolate cake!!! I'm going to need to move back to Utah County if only for the cake! Great post!!!

Aim said...

My nephew had Magleby's chocolate cake for their wedding cake. And it seriously was the best Choc. cake. I totally forgot about it until now and now I really want some.

Julie said...

I obsess in my head a lot about my weight...drives Will crazy, but I think living life and eating yummy chocolate cake is so much more rewarding than being chained to a calorie counter. And sweetrolls for breakfast are so much better than a protein shake and egg whites.

I'll never be a size ___. So what. I love the skin I'm in, and so does Will...what else/who else matters???! Thanks for reminding me...and I'm glad I'm not one of those obsessive posting gals on facebook!

XYZ said...

do these pants make my butt look big?

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I made a goal to be nicer this year. I recently failed at this and devoured an entire plate of chocolate cookies my neighbors brought over to console myself. Ahhh-now I feel better. Love your blog! Janae