During the rainy season in Haiti one day you have a road and the next day you have this:
It is amazing how destructive the rain can be. Clean water is so scarce and yet water is so abundant.
This is our bus driver Olin. He speaks better english than he thinks and he is also teaching me some creole!
Used to be a gas station, now a small tent city.
Olin and Harold. Harold is our interpreter. I love them! They are so nice. I can't help but wonder what their homes look like. We spend the day with them and then they go home to their families and I hope they have somewhere nice and safe to go.
We drove on super crazy roads and over a washed out area to visit some people living in the hills above Port-au-Prince. This woman is preparing to roast coffee.
These men were teaching us Creole.
It was an amazing day! The people here are so kind and loving. I know Haiti isn't the safest place on the planet but I am getting really annoyed that all we hear from the news is that Haiti is so dangerous. The people are so sweet and so happy to have us here!
It started raining while we were there so we had to leave early or the bus would not have made it past the washed out area. We were all so sad to cut our visit short. They had been preparing a meal for us and chased our bus down to give us some of the food.
There are some things I don't think I could get used to...
When you use the toilet ALL paper needs to go in a garbage can. Yes, even the really yucky paper...
I have to practically bathe in deet to keep the mosquitoes at bay and even then it doesn't stop them completely.
It is a wild ride when driving through Port-au-Prince and I am pretty sure I would never be able to be the driver!


2 comments:
Thanks for sharing Alta! I love to hear your news from Haiti. How is your motion sickness getting along with being driven around in a bus? Do you get to sit in the front seat by the driver?
What an amazing opportunity!
Post a Comment