Thursday, May 3, 2012

Haiti

I made it to the poorest country in the western hemisphere. It is already a life changing experience.

This is the "arrival gate" at the Port-au-Prince International Airport. Yes, it's a tent.

This is one of thousands of scenes along the roads in Haiti. It has been 2 years since the earthquake and people are still trying to dig out the rubble.


And what the earthquake didn't ruin, the torrential summer rains do. Roads are in a constant state of disrepair because there is no system of flood abatement. We have storm drains and gutters to send the water in less destructive paths. In Haiti, it just rips up the road. This photo shows just minor damage in the road.


These are homes. Yes, plastic covered spaces are home.


This is where we are staying, the Healing Hands for Haiti compound. They run a clinic for rehabilitation of amputees, giving them a prosthetic or wheelchair and teaching them how to use it, or simply teaching them how to manage without a limb.


And this is literally right over the wall of the grounds we are staying at...



Home to many Haitians.

I am overwhelmed.


4 comments:

scrambled brains said...

I am overwhelmed too. We have so much to be grateful for and so much we take for granted. Thank you for sharing your adventure; it is eye opening and humbling. You are amazing, Alta!

Caitlin said...

Isn't it crazy? My husband served his mission there and went back as an interpreter after the earthquake. How come you're down there?

Hansens said...

My brother serve his mission in the Dominican Republic, which is the other side of the island Haiti is on. He sent pictures like this home all of the time, even before the quake. It is most definitely an eye opening experience I'm sure. We have it pretty good here. You are great for being there and doing what you are. Hopefully you will get a chance to see some of the beach and paradisaical scenery before you come home. I mean, it would just be wrong to be in the Caribbean and not get to see a beach ;-) Hope you have a wonderful time.

Beth said...

Count your blessings, name them one by one.....

I try to do so everyday.