Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Monday and Tuesday

It's time for an update! Monday Scott and I went to the Tate Britain. Not the Tate Modern which we will be seeing next week. Apparently the Tate used to be one gallery but they built a new one (hence "Modern") and now there are two.

We couldn't take pictures of the paintings but the most recognizable painting we saw was the "Lady of Shallot". This picture is from Google. I love Google...

The actual painting is really big. Like 6 feet wide and 4 feet tall.

Next was the Imperial War Museum. This museum is tied for first place with the V&A for Alta's favorite museum award. It was amazing. The whole bottom floor is an exhibit full of artifacts and stuff from WWI and WWII. There is a really great exhibit called the children's war which is all about the impact of WWII on the children of London. There is also a huge exhibit about the holocaust which is very moving and rather haunting.

After the museum we went and saw a really weird play by Harold Pinter called A Slight Ache. It was... really weird. Not in a good, makes you think kid of way... In a "wow, that guy wrote down a bunch of talking and called it a play" kind of way. Whatev.

Then a few of us wandered and chatted around the town. We can do that because we have been here long enough that we can just casually hang out in London. We are so cool...


Tuesday we had class then I took a nap. Seriously people, I'm tired!!! In the afternoon we played a game called London Derby made up by Chris. We basically had a scavenger hunt where we ran around the city taking photos of ourselves at "sites" that we drew out of a cup and met back at Trafalgar square. My team won (Chris, Anna, Joe and I) so I am cool!

In front of a church - 1 point


In front of a pub - 1 point


In front of a statue - 1 point

In front of a Theatre - 1 point

I didn't include the pictures of us at our 4 sites because they weren't very flattering. We had our derby during rush hour so the tube was packed and really sweaty. I mean REALLY sweaty. Plus we were running a lot! So I don't like those photos and I am leaving them off my blog.

After the Derby we grabbed sandwiches at Tesco (which is basically shopping at 7-11) and ate in St. James Park (which is lovely).

No comments: