Scott and I enjoyed a Saturday date night via Marie Callender's delicious pot pies. We reflected on how great it is to be poor college students. You see, we still have not received our fall financial aid. This is due to a grade snafu that has since been corrected but has caused a very long delay. The money we were expecting around the 20th should come this week.But despite the fact that our bank account is woefully in the negative and I have spent the last of the change dish on a few gallons of gas, I am really not worried. We have a food stamp card. That's right folks, your tax dollars at work. I have no shame in sharing this with the world. Scott and I are both full time students and we have three growing boys. When we made the choice to leap back into those salad days of yore (aka starving students) we also chose to apply for food stamps. Let me just begin to tell you what this has done for us. This little pink card has allowed us the freedom to eat food other than ramen and Western Family mac & cheese
Begin rant: what happened to truth in labeling? How can Western Family call it macaroni and cheese when the box has more flavor? End rant.
I can not explain to you the stress that has been relieved by knowing that no matter how low our funds are, we have money for food. For Celeborn's birthday last Monday he got a candy bar and some Henry Weinhards rootbeer. He will get a real present when the loan money comes but in the meanwhile, food was all I could give (don't worry, he's okay with it).
I know, Scott and I just got home from an amazing trip to London (which we used unsubsidized loans to take and will be paying for for the rest of our lives). And what business do we have using government money to live like this? Believe me, we have been judged for this (you know who you are...).
But mostly, we have nothing but support. Thanks everyone. We promise to get really good jobs and contribute back into the system when we finish in three years.
And the rest of you, stop giving me dirty looks in the checkout line, or anyone else with a pink Horizon card or WIC coupons for that matter. The only people you should be judging are the people who still write checks and wait until their whole cart has been rung up to start filling in the lines. Seriously, those people are the drain on society, not me!

4 comments:
You are so awesome! I have missed you! It's nice to read your speak (does that make sense?) I'll let you butt in front of me in line at the grocery store ANYTIME!! We love your family!
Julie
I think everyone needs to experience the starving student era. Then we would all be understanding of those who need that extra help. We've been there -- thanks to everyone else's tax dollars for paying for my son's medical treatment! We're now paying back into the system, and I don't complain because I know that we are helping others (like you)!
"Begin rant: what happened to truth in labeling? How can Western Family call it macaroni and cheese when the box has more flavor? End rant."
I have a friend who makes box mac n' cheese with plain yogurt instead of milk. I was dubious at first, but it's really good!
love ya,
becky
I'm grateful for all the free medical care and milk and cheese we got when we were students.
Post a Comment