...I come away from church feeling like I learned something really important.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying church is useless, but let's be honest. Sacrament meeting is often a 70 minute test of wills. Who will be noisier, Eomer or Aragorn? Who will say something in their talk that I totally don't agree with? Will the choir be singing and if so, is it too rude to cover my ears or giggle with Scott? Assuming we make it through Sacrament, we go next to 45 minutes of Sunday School where someone who thinks they know everything will insist on their interpretation of obscure scripture as being correct and the only way good people live their lives. After Sunday School I go to Young Womens and in our ward, it's a pretty casual affair. Thank heavens!!! I hear that Priesthood meeting is often a painful experience...
But I digress. The whole point of this post is to share something I learned today. Sister Taylor spoke in Sacrament meeting. She mentioned that America is a nation of complainers. She suggests that is why we have a negative reputation around the world and then she shared a quote from President Hinckley.
"By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves." (article here)
I felt inspired by her talk to complain less. I tend to be sarcastic. I think it makes me funny. Sometimes it does, but sometimes I just end up sounding a little bitchy. So I am going to focus on complaining less. Life is short and I don't want to waste too much of it with negativity.
So back to the church topic (since I sounded rather complainey there at the beginning)... I love that we go as a family. I love that it is time we spend trying to become better people. I love that Scott and I can talk openly with each other about what we learn, or disagree with, when we come home. I love that being a religious person makes me want to be a better person in other areas of my life even if it means sitting through a ward choir version of Scatter Sunshine...

6 comments:
I love your sarcastic self! I came away from Sacrament meeting with the same lesson/focus. My kids...the poor things, have to put up with sour cream on their baked potato! Oh, the injustice!I'm no better. I know I'm blessed too.
Hit me if I start to whine!
Oh, Alta, I love you and your wit! And the choir sang your favorite song? Classic! He he he
Awe, look how inspirational you are! I ALMOST had to be offended there for a minute when you brought up young women's... it's a good thing that you wrote "thank heavens." ;)
That was one awesome post and well stated!!! Thank you, I need to work on complaining less as well.
I like to complain. I'm good at it. I think it's one talent I have been blessed with. Oops, was that too sarcastic?!? LOL! Loved your post, Alta! Occasionally we have entertaining sacrament meetings--a few weeks ago we had the most irreverent meeting ever. One dad left his four little kids alone while he took one out. Another dad chased his son around the chapel. A little boy got injured by smashing into a wall, and someone else was screaming! The entire bishopric was laughing behind their programs. Sometimes we all need a good laugh! Sometimes we need to complain. And sometimes it's good to know that your friends and neighbors have the same basic core beliefs as you--even if it means sitting through travel-log testimonies and questionable choir numbers. Great post!
I like this post! I often find myself sitting in the foyer watching my kid run rampant hitting things and pulling things and climbing things...so at least you get to sit IN the chapel. The only problem with the foyer is that you then never get to hear any talks. I definitely hear myself complaining about random things quite often, so maybe I'll take Sister Taylor's talk to heart as well! I'll bet she didn't know her words would be so far reaching.
Post a Comment