Several events have left me feeling rather thoughtful of late. Some trivial, such as two really amazing movies Scott and I watched recently, others more serious, such as the unexpected suicide of a friend from High School. Although I haven't seen her for 16 years, I can't help but wish we had stayed in touch and I find myself thinking of my place in this crazy world and how I can make it a bit better for myself and those around me.
I find it gut-wrenchingly ironic that many Christians find rude, ugly or downright horrible behavior justifiable. Often this behavior is accepted with the attitude that Christ himself threw the money changers out of the temple in biblical times. These people were sinning and so they received the fullness of His wrath. So we all must be justified in our disdain of sinners. Right?
I'm not a scriptorian but as far as I can remember, in the whole of the 33 years Christ spent on the earth, this was the ONE time that He used such force of word and deed. True Christians, if they claim to emulate Him, will live as he did with soft words and loving kindness.
So... why do we all judge each other so harshly? Why do we push others down? Is it that important to prove that we are right? Must our feeling of worth come from lowering someone else?
We are all on this rock together and the only thing we can count on is that none of us are getting out of this alive. If our goal is not to uplift and love those around us, then what are we living for?
As my mom always says "we are all damaged goods". So then, who am I to say that my brand of life is the only one worth living? If we are all truly children of God, which I believe, then He loves us all, imperfections included. And if He loves us all, then we should love each other and ourselves enough to be respectful and kind if our opinions differ.
Slumdog Millionare, Milk
Natalie Larson Paxman
I was just thinking about Natalie the other day (for real and it's kinda freaking me out). I was remembering her telling me how cool my mom was (which is true) and thinking how I hope she joins Facebook so I can get back in touch. She was always so nice and I am sad I won't get to see her again in this life.
Red White and Blue Trifles
4 years ago

6 comments:
All I am going to say is Thank You Alta!
It's so true alta, it seems like people get so stuck finding fault in other people that they forget that we are all just people and have just as many faults as the next person, different faults maybe, but faults all the same.
Wow, this is something we all need to hear regularly!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Natalie....oh how I wish we could find all those lonely souls that need to be loved and take them into our homes!! Thank you for this post Alta!
I'm sorry, Alta. I know how this feels.
Hi Alta,
I am one of Natalie's friends from Simi Valley. I have spent many hours with Natalie just talking about life and laughing. She was a Warrior who fought a courageous battle. I do not understand Natalie's death anymore than I understand my sister's death. My sister died of cancer at 34 leaving a young family behind.I will forever be grateful for the example these two women set for me.I find comfort in knowing they are so happy to see each other again. I love and miss both of them. I look forward to the day when I will be able to embrace them once more. I love you guys!!!!
Thank you for your post.
Kristi Kastler
So sorry to hear about Natalie. Suicide is tough for everyone.
Also sad to hear about those who choose to be rude to others who are different. It is easy for people to let the "natural man" tendency take over. I could probably get all doctrinal on you about the two times the Savior cleansed the temple and the numerous times when he rebuked the scribes and Pharisees and so forth, but I won't (you're welcome). So I'll just say that the Savior, as the Redeemer and God who knows absolutely everything, had the right to judge and rebuke those who were defiling the temple and/or leading others astray. We, however, do not have that right to judge, except in certain, limited circumstance, namely when it is our direct stewardship to watch over and help another--ie., parents to their own children or a Bishop to a ward member who has come to him. And even in these circumstances, wrath, raging anger, belittling and so forth is totally inappropriate. In my opinion, even so-called teasing others about their weaknesses and funny quirks is inappropriate, especially if those "others" are our spouse, children, or other family members. (I'm saying this knowing that this is sometimes one of my own weaknesses, so don't throw stones at me thinking that I think I'm perfect. I know I'm not!) I believe it IS appropriate to share one's values and beliefs with others as long as that other person is open to hearing them AND as long as both parties remain respectful.
I could say a lot more on this subject, but I am done now. (You're welcome, again.)
Post a Comment