I'm taking a psychiatric disorders class this semester and I'm going to be writing a paper. I am choosing to write about Bipolar disorder because I know people who struggle with this disease and because it runs in Scott's family. This means you, my dear audience, get to hear about it.
Parkinson's Disease is caused by a lack of dopamine (one of the chemicals our brain needs to function).
Bipolar disorder is caused by either too much dopamine or nerves being too sensitive and overreacting to the dopamine available (we can't tell which yet).
So here's a question for you... Why is Parkinson's Disease considered by society to be a legitimate illness and Bipolar disorder is not?
I should also throw out here that treating Bipolar disorder with anti-depressants alone will not work and can be disastrous, especially if the anti-depressant is an SSRI like Zoloft, Paxil, or Prozac. Persons with Bipolar need to be taking a mood stabilizer such as Lamictal or Abilify and may need more than one medication for the best therapeutic effect. Interestingly, anti-seizure medications make good mood stabilizers for Bipolar disorder which leads doctors to think that Bipolar disorder is similar to seizure disorders as both involve overstimulation of nerves in the brain. Unfortunately it can take time and patience to find the right medication(s) for mental illnesses and so many people get frustrated and give up.
Here's a list of symptoms of a manic episode in someone with Bipolar disorder:
Abnormal amounts of energy and/or inability to sit still
Not tiring and/or insomnia
Increased or decreased appetite
Does not take care of self
Increased sexuality or sexual behaviors
Exaggerated dress or makeup
Irritable and easily provoked
Physically threatening
Unexplained disappearance
Racing thoughts
Fast talking which can't keep up with fast thoughts
Poor judgement
Constantly tense or "on guard"
Easily distracted
Feelings of persecution, grandiosity or religiosity
Hallucinations
Unable to admit they may have a mental condition
Quickly changing mood
Manic episodes can last anywhere from hours to days/weeks or even months and often cycle with major depressive episodes. Symptoms of major depressive episodes are:
Significant impairment in ability to work or be social
Unexplained pain or intestinal distress
Increased irritability or anger
Weight loss or weight gain
Insomnia or excessive sleeping
Sense of worthlessness, guilt or negative self image
Self-blaming
Inability to experience pleasure
Inability to think clearly, concentrate or make decisions
Poor performance
Feeling or saying others would be better if he/she were not around
Thoughts of dying or suicide
A diagnosis of Bipolar disorder is not the end of the world. Medications have come a long way in helping people maintain a more stable life with fewer side effects than before. If a person with Bipolar disorder is reluctant to seek treatment because they like the way they feel when they’re manic, remember that those feelings come with a price. Mania can become destructive, hurting them and the people around them and untreated Bipolar disorder has a high risk of suicide. Don't be afraid to get help.

6 comments:
I really like this post. We've had several instances where we've been asked to have our profile shown to parents who are bi-polar. This helps me understand it better. Thanks.
Good info. I think we differentiate between something like Parkinson's and Bipolar Disorder because Parkinson's "looks" like a valid disease, while Bipolar can be scary and unpredictable to those who are around a person who is manic or deeply depressed. I have a family member who is depressed by not Bipolar. However, a few months ago she started taking medication that is normally reserved for those with Bipolar Disorder (I don't know its name). I don't know why her doctor prescribed it because now her behavior has more ups and downs than it ever had. She actually scares me sometimes. I feel for people who have such a misunderstood disease, and I pray for them and their family and friends to get the help that is necessary and to somehow perservere and endure.
My mom was diagnosed with Bipolar when she was 25 years old. She had several big manic episodes which as a kid was actually really scary. Actually even as a 30 year old watching her was still scary. Mainly because she went so too both extremes so quickly. After regulating medicine again we had to get to know a new mom again. Her personality changed. Good luck with your paper. It is actually really interesting to learn about it especially when you know someone who is going through it. Thanks for sharing what you have learned.
My mom was diagnosed with this when I was in junior high. She still struggles and they've never found the right drug combination, although overall she is much more able to function now than in the past.
I think anything that can be associated with "depression" is seen by many as illegitimate becaues those who have never experienced it can not fathom it or understand it.
My brother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and received treatment intermittently. Because his cycles of being up and down coincided with drug use, alcohol use, and being in and out of jail, most people just saw him as someone who made bad decisions. I also think that when you're talking about bipolar treatments or depression treatments that many of those being treated tend to think that when they are cycling on an "up" cycle that they feel that medicine is unneeded and will stop taking it. However this makes the cycling all the worst. All I know is that my brother is now gone and it sucks and I wish everyone in his life had a better udnerstanding that a lot of his problems came from a chemical imbalance in his brain, and not as a result of the chemicals he took in...
My brother didn't have health insurance or a job or any way to get treatment. He did the best he could and in the end, it did mean the end of the world for him. 3 months ago he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. You're right though, there is help and hope and everyone ought to be forced to take a class on mental illness, because it's a disease.
I want to read you paper (and your source material)! Understanding mental illness allows us to understand and serve more effectively!
I hope you can do a post on OCD, too.
I love you!
Post a Comment