How do you write about someone you love? How do you sum up an entire life with just a few characters on a page?
When someone you love is passing from this life to the next, you feel like the whole world should stop for a moment and recognize this person and how this place is different because he won't be in it.
My grandpa is dying.
He is such a good man. So loving. So strong.
He has big, rough hands from years of hard, physical work but they are always warm and kind.
I know that he loves me and that he knows that I love him.
Several years ago some things happened in my mom's family that were very difficult. In an effort to protect her husband, children, and herself, my mom chose to not have contact with her parents and several of her siblings. This has been very difficult for some to understand, but also difficult for those of us who stayed away.
I miss my grandpa. I have for a long time.
A long time ago, when I was 7, my dad came to Utah to go to an inpatient drug rehabilitation center. My mom brought herself and us 4 kids to Utah to be closer to my dad and to start a new life when he could come home. We lived with my grandparents for about 6 weeks until we could find an apartment to rent. I remember my grandpa waking up with us and making breakfast every morning. Oatmeal or boiled wheat with honey and stacks of buttered toast. I'm pretty sure that the reason we ate boiled wheat was because it was the only thing in the house to eat but grandpa made it feel like a treat. I haven't eaten it in years but I love it because of him.
I am so grateful to my grandparents who allowed their life to be turned upside-down by letting my mom and her 4 small children come stay with them. It wasn't easy for anyone but we needed a safe and loving place during a time of upheaval and they gave it to us.
I am so grateful to my grandparents who allowed their life to be turned upside-down by letting my mom and her 4 small children come stay with them. It wasn't easy for anyone but we needed a safe and loving place during a time of upheaval and they gave it to us.
Grandpa believes in love and kindness and simply can't understand some of the ugly things that go on in this world. He is a good and faithful man. He loves my grandma with all of his heart and has stood by her side through thick and thin.
For a while I felt like my grandpa had let me down. He had to walk away from my mom at a time when she was most hurt. But I understand now. He stayed with the people who needed him most. He let my mom go but I think he knew she was loved and would be strong enough to stand without him.
I love him so much.
Grandpa had a stroke on Saturday and is not long for this world. It is just a matter of time. I can only hope for him that his passage to the next existence will be as short as possible.
I can't go visit him and I hope that anyone who feels that this is wrong can understand. I need my grandpa to stay well and happy in my memory. I feel really peaceful about my decision. I truly believe that there is an existence after our life ends here on earth and I know I will see my grandpa again.
Grandpa had a stroke on Saturday and is not long for this world. It is just a matter of time. I can only hope for him that his passage to the next existence will be as short as possible.
I can't go visit him and I hope that anyone who feels that this is wrong can understand. I need my grandpa to stay well and happy in my memory. I feel really peaceful about my decision. I truly believe that there is an existence after our life ends here on earth and I know I will see my grandpa again.
Grandpa, Leah, and Alta about 1980


13 comments:
Oh, I'm so sorry Alta. My grandma is dying, too, and I'm here with her, and it's so much harder than I expected. Either way, it's really hard to say "good-bye" to someone you love. ((hugs))
Alta -
Those of us who know grandpa and love him know also that he loves you and understands completely. I'm sure he wishes that things could be different, but they aren't. So I'm confident that Grandpa, being Grandpa, would just cry a little, then laugh a little - or a lot, and then move on. Life is like that.
I've never known anyone more full of love. Grandpa is everything I hope to be. I even share his name!
Love you, cousin.
PEACE
billy
Sorry, Alta. I lost my Grand-dad last October. I still miss him.
Love you!
PS - Once we were in the airport together, waiting for something to happen (I can't remember what, exactly... maybe someone going on a mission... or someone coming home...) Anyway, he picked up my hand in his massive sausage hands and said, "You've got pretty girly hands, Bill!" HA! I've had a girl-hand complex ever since! HAHAHA!!! Everyone has girl hands compared to Grandpa!
Well said, Alta. I am sure he'll know how you felt about him. Glad you feel peaceful too. I absolutely love this statement:
"When someone you love is passing from this life to the next, you feel like the whole world should stop for a moment and recognize this person and how this place is different because he won't be in it." It's just so very true. I'm glad to pause and hear your thoughts about your Grandpa.
I'm so sorry. It's never easy when something like this happens. Hang in there.
I am sorry Alta it is such a hard thing when things like this happen. I completely understand about not being able to go see him though. Those images stay in your mind for the rest of your life so it is important that you do what will be best for you. Let me know if I can do anything. ((((HUGS)))) Love you!
So sorry Alta. Grandpas are special and all in their own way. Something like they were meant to be "our grandpa". He sounds like a great guy and I'm sure you will miss him. Our thoughts are with him and all of you.
Sweet Alta,
You have such a gift for looking at things from all angles and doing your best to always find and think of the good in every person. I am proud of your attitude and approach and admire you so much for that and so many other reasons. May you feel the Savior's love and receive peace at this time. I love you!
That's a great message Alta! You're awesome.
This was a beautiful letter Alta. I wish you peace during this time in your life.
I am so sorry Alta. I know how hard it is to loose a Grandpa that was a Father figure. I'm glad you are at peace, and I hope that in the next life, you can sit down with him, and start over fresh. I remember him, and I'm sure your family will miss him. Much love!
Celeborn looks like you at this age. This is a great post.
Post a Comment