I'm a little afraid to talk about Haiti face to face.
I am afraid that people don't want to hear some of the things I will say and I don't want to hurt any feelings.
For example:
The US Government is making things worse.
Sometimes humanitarian aid ruins the local economy.
Haiti is not a scary place and the US "do not travel" recommendation is not necessary.
The military presence serves only to intimidate the most poor.
So, if you don't want to hear these things, and others, you may not want to ask me about my trip. From the minute Christopher Columbus landed on the island of HispaƱola, the people have been exploited to benefit the wealthy. Haiti does not have a happy history and it is a mess the people did not create for themselves, it was forced upon them.
I love this crazy, messy, beautiful place and I will have a hard time holding back from telling you things you may not want to hear.
Because the people of Haiti need a voice and I want to tell the story.

3 comments:
I feel like I can relate in a way, but my outspoken, hard-to-hear thoughts are all about adoption right now. The only way to educate is to share what you've learned and seen. I know that I know almost nothing about foreign countries because I've never had the experience of leaving my very comfortable, rich home.
It's what people need to hear. We've got things way too good here and are spoiled. To a point that we whine if we hear things about other places we don't want to. I for one think telling people your REAL LIFE experience would probably be one of the best things for everyone. Even if they don't want to hear it. Many just need to come out of their bubble of non reality and see things how they really are. I think you are wonderful for doing what you did, and would love to hear of your experiences.
Claire spent time in Haiti last summer - it changed her forever - and us - and she'd agree with the above comments...we're now so very tied to a country we knew almost nothing about. We have a Haitian son, now here attending BYU - I'm so happy you went. Claire hopes to be able to return...
Post a Comment