The other day the kids went sledding in the neighbors backyard (next time I may actually brave the cold and get some pictures). My mom and I were creating goodness as you will see below...
When we were little I remember walking home from school to the yellow house in the winter. It seems like we had a lot more snow when I was a kid... I remember coming in the door and being bowled over by the heat (my mom would crank the thermostat as soon as my dad left for work and turn it down when we got home so it cooled off before he got there). The windows would be all steamy and I remember thinking my mom must have been lounging in her personal sauna all day. In reality, I am sure the steamy windows had more to do with endless loads of laundry and dishes in a 100 year old and poorly insulated house.
The best part was that we were greeted by piles of sliced and buttered toast and real hot cocoa. You know, the kind you make with Hershey's baking cocoa powder.
The best part was that we were greeted by piles of sliced and buttered toast and real hot cocoa. You know, the kind you make with Hershey's baking cocoa powder.
While they were sledding my mom and I started in on a two-day-bake-a-thon. What is better than a whole table of chocolate covered pretzels?
And today I realized I forgot the Christmas Eve jammies. It's kind of a tradition that the one present opened on Christmas Eve is jammies. Funds being ridiculously tight as they are, I used my mom's Old Navy card to charge some last minute jammie pants for each of the boys. Nothing like shopping at 5:45 on Christmas Eve. I'm just glad they were open until 6.
This hasn't been the most organized holiday for me. Finishing finals on the 20th made it feel like Christmas snuck up on me. And just in time for the copious photos, I have sprouted a lovely group of zits on the left side of my nose. Nice.
But all craziness aside, I have so much to be grateful for. I have a wonderful family. We have a warm home and a car that runs. We have plenty of good food to eat. And I'm so grateful for the generosity of others which is making Christmas possible for us.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

4 comments:
Your goodies were delicious -- thanks!
oh how I love hot chocolate...although I have no idea how to make it with real cocoa. Apparently I have been deprived and I didn't even know it. I think I might be into the jammie thing too...maybe next year I'll get matching ones for Brett and the boys!
I wish I was your neighbor . . . I want some chocolate covered pretzels!! We have the same "jamina" tradition in our house!!
I love you Alta. I just wanted to tell you that you are a good person & I love that you made chocolate covered pretzels & cocoa on Christmas. Sorry I don't comment more, but I do read your blog & laugh along with a hearty sigh because I miss you. Let's hang out before that pimp UVU gets his hands on you again!
Post a Comment