I'm not gonna lie, Mother's Day is not my favorite holiday.
I know it is meant to be a day to celebrate all of the things moms do but somehow I always end up thinking about all of the ways I fall short.
Especially as I struggled with infertility, it was a reminder of how my body was failing me at my "one true calling in life".
This year I want to say thank you to the women in my life. All of you have influenced who I am and who I strive to be.
And on a personal note:
I know it is meant to be a day to celebrate all of the things moms do but somehow I always end up thinking about all of the ways I fall short.
Especially as I struggled with infertility, it was a reminder of how my body was failing me at my "one true calling in life".
This year I want to say thank you to the women in my life. All of you have influenced who I am and who I strive to be.
And on a personal note:
My mom, who has enthusiasm to tackle anything life throws her way. Her positive and cheerful attitude reminds me to be grateful.
My mother-in-law, who is so full of charity. Her quiet and brave example remind me that giving to others is always a good idea.
And two other women who I think about every day but especially on Mother's Day.
D, who loved and held and protected my two youngest boys when no one else could and then selflessly gave them to me to raise, and B, who gave life to them and then chose to let them go. I am so grateful that you both have trusted me to raise our boys and I promise to do my best.

8 comments:
It's true, your mom and mother in law are amazing people! I quote them both :) My life is better for knowing them!
Love,
Denise
Great post, Alta. I love your Mom, too.
You're amazing, too, Alta! You're a great mom, and I'm glad I have your example. Happy Mother's Day!
alta,
we all need to pretend. that is why we spend our childhood pretending to be princesses and queens, rulers of worlds, nurses (you almost), doctors, and everything that succeeds because one day we would be mothers and realize we have to control over anything.
i thoroughly enjoy you, scott AND your boys. i watch. i don't talk to you, that would break my anti-social facade, but i think you are all amazing.
so go on not liking mother's day but don't make it because you feel you fall short. it just is not true. make it because you did not get to spend it with me.
now go play some music really loud so i can see the cops called to your house!! about time cops came to another house other than ours!
i meant NO control not TO control because Lord knows i have yet to control anything, my bladder included, in 14 years.
Awesome post Alta, could not be said any better!!!
You are one amazing mommy and you shouldn't be down on yourself and those boys I'm sure are getting the very best if not more than the very best!!!
Happy Mommy's Day!
I dislike Mother's Day, too. Do you know any mothers (or non-mothers) who like it? I loved this article by Ann Cannon titled "Mother's Day is a commercially inspired farce: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705302646,00.html
Lucky us, we didn't get even one Mother's Day talk in church to make us feel dumb/guilty/inferior/grumpy/sneezy/itchy or anything! The stake high council guy said that his wife said that Mother's Day talks just made mom's feel bad, which is totally counterproductive to the day.
I, too, celebrate your mom, your mother-in-law (my mom!), and YOU!
A little late... I remember being a little girl and looking forward to visiting you guys partly because your mom was so much fun. Phil had to give the mothers day talk, talk about a minefield.
Post a Comment