Each of us has them. Millions over a lifetime. Yet some stand out so poignantly that they remain in our minds eye forever. Sometimes they are associated with a smell or a sound but for me they are usually an image. Our house on Fargo Street in California, my first kiss (which was horrible), the moment I knew I was going to marry Scott, seeing Celeborn for the first time, finalizing adoption of Eomer and Aragorn... and so many more moments which add up to the person I am today. Many of them are good. Many are sad or painful. But they are all mine and define the way I live my life.
Here I sit with this recent moment in my mind's eye. This part of my story I hoped never to live again. And yet, who am I to wish it away? Our lives are filled with joy and sorrow, bitter and sweet, hope and fear. It wouldn't be fair of me to presume that I should be immune to the hardest parts of living this human life, especially when I have so much. Family and friends who love and have lifted me, a comfortable place to live with luxuries most of the world will never know, the chance to better myself with a college education, and so much more.
Each of us faces moments that change who we are and how we behave in the world around us. Each of us has experienced sorrow or pain so deep, so profound that we thought we could not survive another moment. And yet we do.
I will never forget the moment I saw those two blue lines appear. My hands shook for two days. It had been so long I didn't think it was possible. And in the end, my body proved unable to sustain that little life. Many tears have been shed. Many more will come.
Where I am sitting, to my left, is a photo taken of Scott and I on our wedding day. We were so young, so sure of ourselves, so naive. We had no idea of the hardships we would face. And in many ways life is still like that. We make plans, set goals, look forward, but we don't really know what surprises will come our way. I know that I can survive because I have him.
Thank you for all of your love and support as we weather this storm. We feel so loved! And when it is your turn to face sorrow, because none of us can avoid it, know that we will love and support you in return.
Red White and Blue Trifles
4 years ago

9 comments:
You are so strong. Never forget it.
OK--I cannot help but comment--as I am crying with you right now. In May I miscarried at 15 weeks, and it was a pain I had never known before. There are still moments I ache for that baby, and wonder why. I was so excited for you when I read that you were pregnant. It has been so long since I have seen or spoke to you, but as I read about your loss all of that is gone, and I just hurt for you. It sucks! I am sorry you are going through it. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and hope you will come out the other end of this better for it. (As I am sure you will) This is your long lost cousin Lindsey BTW. :)
It is hard to find the words to know what to say. Especially when you know what that sort of pain feels like because you know that no words can change the past or give back what it is you really want. The only thing I know that I can say is how much I love you and your family.
You may not realize how much I think of you. Every time I'm down about Jackson being alone for so long, I think of your boys and how much Celeborn loves his little brothers and how long he waited for them. You really are a great example to me of patience, love, strength, and endurance. Even when it seems that someone keeps shoving sticks in your bicycle spokes, you and Scott seem to get on your bike (built for two) and keep pedaling no matter how bumped and bruised you are.
I love you, and I hope hope hope you will call me if you need a chat, even if it's to hear someone's voice. Give Scott a hug for me, too, I know it's hard on him as well.
Thank you so much for that. I know that you are suffering so much pain and sadness right now. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please know that your words lifted me and come as a great blessing and answer to a prayer for me.
I needed those words, right now, at this moment, more than you'll ever know.
Thank you.
I'm glad and impressed that you are able to look at it this way. That is such a hard thing to go through and I wish you hadn't had to go through it AGAIN!!
Take care and thanks for sharing all of this with us.
Wow Alta, those are powerful words!!! Thank you, we all needed to hear that and I'm so glad you know how loved you are and how many prayers are said in your behalf as you go through this sorrow!
Alta, I always love your blog posts! I love you and your family and don't you forget it :)
Well said Alta. You are strong and blessed. Thanks for sharing. We Love you bunches!
Well written, beautiful, and thoughtful post. I'm sad to hear the news. Hang in there!
Post a Comment