Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alta talks...

...and you maybe wish she wouldn't.

I've been a bit reluctant to post about what has been going on with me because it isn't easy to talk about. However, as you all know, I am not shy about sharing. So here goes...

I've been on a roller coaster since my miscarriage in July. This was an unplanned pregnancy at a time when I felt very unprepared to deal with another baby. I felt like the world turned upside down. Then just as I was getting used to the idea, and actually getting excited about it, our baby died. My world turned right side up? Technically we were back to the plans we had before but nothing felt the same. Thank heavens for friends and family who took care of us! Also thank heavens for Nicole who made me talk to my doctor about my depression and anxiety so I could get some medication. I have such a "fix it myself" attitude that I always resist asking for help. Can I just say that I feel so much better! Whether it's temporary or long term, there is no shame in taking medication to help with depression and anxiety.

Because I got pregnant, I qualified for Medicaid to cover all of the medical expenses. I wish we had real insurance to cover things all the time but that is an argument for another day. I get to stay on Medicaid for 60 days after the pregnancy ended which means I have insurance until the middle of September. Because of this I decided to have some long overdue surgery.

Without grossing you out, we'll just say the recovery has been really painful. Specifically anything involving sitting... I should be starting Fall classes today but it's just not going to happen. Did I mention yet how glad I am for my anti-depressants?

Anyway, I am on the mend. Life is good and moving forward. I can't believe that everyone in our family is in school! Of course, I cried because my littlest is in Kindergarten, but also because just more than a month ago we thought we would be having another baby and all of the firsts that come along with it.

But we'll be okay.

7 comments:

Heather S. said...

I am just glad that you are getting through everything :)

scrambled brains said...

You are so brave and strong. God bless you Alta! Your honesty helps so many people, including me. Thank you.
Love,
Heidi

Jo Lynn said...

Alta, this post was for me!!! It always seems to surprise me how Heavenly Father works through others! Seriously, I scheduled an appointment TODAY with my doctor and she ordered me medication to take to help me...it's like this is what I needed to hear!

I'm so so sorry you have been struggling and like Heidi said you are a strong woman who can get through this and you made the right step. We love you and you are in our prayers and I'm glad the surgery went well. Hang in there Alta!!

LeMira said...

Dear Alta,

Pretend I'm there right now giving you a hug. Of course, a very soft hug so I'm not hurting you. :) Love you much!

Anonymous said...

I think of you often & have worried about you a lot lately, but like you said - I knew you'd be okay. I love you Alta.

Janice said...

Alta, thank you for being open with your life -- the good and the bad. I love and admire you! You are lucky to have a hubby who loves you so much, too!

I'm grateful that you're my friend and sister (ish) !!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so open and honest with your feelings. Good for you for seeking help with the deperession. Those of us who have gone through a loss deserve some help with all of this! Many women don't ask for it and end up suffering way too much. I'm glad you're feeing better. And I hope your sitting situation is improving, too.