Thursday, October 29, 2009

Happy Holidays?

I used to look forward to the holidays.  I loved decorating for each occasion; silly knick-knacks, smelly candles, you know... all the good stuff.  Then I went back to school.

Now when fall hits, I get a feeling of dread.

What kinds of costumes will the kids be expecting and can I make/acquire them without spending much money or sewing for days?  Do I really have to carve pumpkins?  Do I have to throw the Halloween party in the kid's classes?  Will I have to bring something hard to make for Thanksgiving or can I just pick it up at the store?  Will I manage to get the Christmas tree up let alone decorated?  Is it wrong that I leave my outside lights up all year so I don't have to deal with them?

I'm just worn out this year.

Gratefully the kids picked easy costumes (one from 2 years ago, one borrowed) so at least that one's out of the way...


Eomer as Mario


Aragorn as Nosferatu

5 comments:

Hansens said...

Sometimes it's too much overload to think about. You and your family will survive and be excited once again someday. For now, try to get some rest where you can and get finished with school.

Good Luck! And just so you know leaving up your light just means you're thinking ahead. :-)

regina said...

most people say dracula.....not the stringhams!!

Jo Lynn said...

Great costumes! I was thinking between halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas...they should be spread out evenly through out the year. It all hits at the same time and there's just not enough time to get everything in. I wish you luck Alta and do what you can and forget the rest.

Carina said...

Just lower the bar, it's not quite as awesome, but the lower blood pressure makes up for it.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better I didn't carve pumpkins this year and last year I was even worse since I was working full time. Scout's costume got eaten by a giant pile of laundry (I didn't find it until the next day). I ended up using a neighbor girl's horse costume that was too small. Ink was a bear (hand-me-down costume). They still had so much fun and never realized there was stress afoot!

P.S. I like that Aragorn's eyes turned red in the photo. Spooooky!