Monday, June 21, 2010

Some controversy, by request

Utah senator Orrin Hatch is proposing a bill which would require that parents receiving state assistance be able to pass a drug test in order to get their benefits.  When I first heard of this I said to myself...

"Self, that is a good idea!  I get food stamps and I have nothing to hide."

Then I thought about it.

Don't get me wrong, people who abuse the system bug me to no end.  They give those of us receiving help for legitimate reasons a bad name.  They give all the meanies out there good reasons to pull the plug on government help of any kind.

Side note:  Everyone says stop making me pay taxes and let me spend my money how I want to, I will help people.  Well, guess what?  In 2009 Americans paid the lowest percentage of income tax since the Hoover administration and yet what are we doing with it?  Taking care of numero uno, that's what.  Oh, I know, you say Americans are the most generous.  Yes, I say, when it comes to disaster relief.  But what about taking care of the family down the street?  They are weird and don't go to my church so I don't have to help them...

So back to drug testing.  What about the kids of the horrible druggie parents?  For many of them, the only way they eat or have a roof over their head or clothes on their back is because of government assistance.  Put the druggies in rehab you say?  Where will their children go?  Are you taking them in?  The need for foster parents in Utah is higher than ever.  Unless you plan to step up and take some into your home, don't tell me there is somewhere for these kids to go.  There isn't.

So, are we really the kind of people who are okay with making kids go hungry?  Really?

Wanna do something for real?  Become a foster parent.  It's hard but I promise, it is very rewarding.

http://www.utahfostercare.org/

6 comments:

Diana said...

So true!

Bear and Stephy said...

You know, I had never thought of it like that. I had always thought drug testing was a good idea for the welfare program. But you're right, we shouldn't make the children suffer. It really is a shame that some people can reproduce.

Unknown said...

Well said, Alta.

Heather M said...

Alta, for what it's worth, I like reading your "controversial" blog posts! It's nice to think about something other than my own sorry self sometimes! Thanks!

Heather said...

Very well said! I totally agree and it is only going to cost more money! And druggies know how to get around a drug test anyway! Not to mention they will just wait to file their claim and stay clean for a bit so they can get the assistance then got right back on the drugs and random drug test are going to be way to hard to do!!! There are too many of us on government assistance!

Anonymous said...

Great post Alta. I agree 100% but being a foster parent scares the crap out of me. Only heroes & saints are good at stuff like that ;)