Saturday, November 12, 2011

7-12

I've gotten behind this week.
Mostly because I spent the week with a nasty cold.

#7 Insurance

We have gone without it in the past which is really scary.  During school were so poor we qualified for state insurance which covered everything for the kids and some things for Scott and I.  Now that Scott has a job we are part of a great group insurance plan.  Tuesday I was feeling really sick.  I figured it was probably just a cold but I was also feeling light-headed and it was hard to breathe so off to Instacare I went.  They ran some tests and everything looked okay so they said it was probably just a virus and sent me home.  About half an hour later they called me and told me one of the blood tests they ran showed I might have a blood clot and I needed to go to the ER!  Yikes!  Gratefully everything came back clear but talk about a scare!  And I have no idea how we would have paid for any of it.
The ER is really expensive you guys!

#8 Education

Although it's hard to say I'm grateful for my classes and all of the assignments I have right now, I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to go to school.  I love being in the nursing program and I love what I am learning.  I also love the friends I have made in my group.

#9 People thinking about us

It seems silly but it really is helpful.
People often tell me they don't know what to say or do for us.
Here are some tips:

Do say:
I am so sorry
I love you
I am thinking about you

Do not say:
It was probably for the best
(what are you trying to say? I am a bad parent, the baby might have had a birth defect and been difficult, I don't need more kids?)

Jesus needed his little angel
(That is crap.  Jesus does not need my baby.  I do.)

I could go on.  Read the Infertility Etiquette info I have linked to before. A lot of it applies.

#10 My bed

At the end of the day (or all day when you're sick) nothing is better than climbing into a comfy bed.  I have talked before about the benefits of high thread count sheets and I'm telling you, they are worth the extra expense.  So nice.

#11 Facebook

Okay, cheesy right?  But Facebook has allowed me to stay in touch with people I care about.  It allowed me to let people know what happened when we lost our baby without having to call everyone.  It gives me an easy way to tell people I am thinking about them.  The page for my nursing group helps me keep track of assignments.
I like it.

#12 Chocolate

No explanation needed!

3 comments:

Heather S. said...

I am pretty sure that I don't say those things that you listed that are not good things to say. That may have a tiny bit to do with the things I am taught in my classes for my social work degree. ;)

What you are going through sucks and I can't even begin to imagine how it feels.

I am happy that you didn't end up having blood clot! Love you Alta!

Hansens said...

I often wonder how people can think saying things like that are helping you. I totally understand where you're coming from though not for the same reason. Telling some one something like that is for the best could never be the right/nice thing to say.

So glad you didn't have a blood clot, and glad you have a way to pay so you could find out. Scary.

We love you! And Scott, and your boys ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Alta,
It's been many many years...but I still think of you - especially when I drive by the yellow house :)
"I'm sorry" hardly expresses the sadness I feel for your loss! I can say I understand, too well :( AGONY!!!
I got so tired of still hearts! The rollercoaster of anticipation and devastation!
All I really have to offer is my love.
Denise