This is how Scott and I spent our 17th wedding anniversary:
12 hours in the van. We know how to party you guys!
We passed the place we had our first kiss:
Sigh. Excellent memories.
(As an added bonus we left this disgusting inversion air behind)
The grueling drive was totally worth it because it put us here:
My first love: THE OCEAN
Sorry Scott, you are number 2.
This specific beach is called Pebble Beach. There is no sand, only a bajillion smooth pebbles all the size of a small pea. It is always so crazy to me that beaches are so different. One will be soft, white sand and just around the corner will be rough, rocky sand, then the next will be black sand, and then smooth pebbles at the next. Amazing.
After the last four months, this was a much needed getaway.
I took this picture on Christmas Eve:
which was a rough day for several reasons, most of all because once I started crying, I had a really hard time stopping.
I couldn't stop thinking about all of the empty arms this year, too many who don't get to tuck their babies in and set out their presents and fill their stockings.
But the good news is that the ocean has healing properties and I left a lot of my pain and sorrow there. It is so healing, listening to the waves crash over and over. You know the scenes in Harry Potter where they pull their memories out to put in the pensieve and they look like silver strings? I felt like the waves were pulling icky strings of sadness, anger, and pain out of my chest and washing them away.
Amazing.





4 comments:
The ocean is one of the only places I find peace.It does have healing properties. Wish we could go there, it would probably work wonders on us. No chance of that now though, unless some kind of vacation fairy drops off a gift ;-)
Glad you guys got to go and get some much deserved rest, relaxation, and fun.
Totally agree. I'm so glad you got to go!
Love the ocean...and that shot of the Golden Gate bridge. I won't rub it in that I live less than 30 minutes from it...but I will say that I too find it cathartic...there is just something about the ebb and flow of the tides and how the ocean seems endless, so many possibilities. I know 2012 has many great things in store for you! Love you.
You came at such a good time. It has been so cold and foggy since you left. Hope we got in enough ocean time while you were here. Hugs to you all!
Post a Comment