Sunday, February 26, 2012

I am the face

Sometimes we talk about "them"...

...the people doing things we don't like.

Things like having unplanned pregnancies or living off welfare.

It is easy to think of "them" as a horrible, faceless person with all of the worst qualities we can imagine.

This is me.


I am the face of unplanned pregnancy.

I am the face of welfare.

When the conversation turns to the "irresponsible" women who get pregnant because they didn't use birth control (and probably shouldn't have been having sex in the first place), think of me. Remember that not all of us who need better access to birth control are irresponsible or unmarried.

When the conversation turns to the moochers on welfare, think of me. Food stamps, grants, and Medicaid make it possible for me to become a nurse. Most of us are using the help to make our lives better (and not have our kids starve or be homeless).

When we talk about "them" we are often talking about someone we know and love.

Next time, think of me.

3 comments:

Several Simmering Pots said...

I am so tired of all the faceless name-calling & pigeon-holing that seems to happen all the time these days. Whether it's politics or religious beliefs or whatever. People are people & as Christians we need to love & care for one another instead of distancing ourselves from the problem & pretending that "those people" are somehow different than the people you know & love.

I think of you all the time Alta :) I love your posts and love you.

LeMira said...

I don't have the words to describe how much I love this post.

Diana said...

Thank You Alta